The internet is a sea of information, with different people and entities trying to ensure their content and products are visible. There are numerous topics of discussion that people can write and disseminate online. In such a case, content developers try as much as possible for their content to be ranked among the top for maximum visibility.
This activity is what we call Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
It is explained as a scientific process that involves algorithms to influence the increase in the traffic (quality and quantity) to the website. The keywords used are easily captured by search engines, making their ranking higher, and thereby increasing visibility. This practice mostly captures raw traffic.
The Optimisation Process
- The content developer writes an article or a text for the website. His or her choice of words, modification of hypertext mark-up language (HTML) and other coding instructions help in easier identification of the keywords.
- This activity increases indexing of the text by search engines (Yahoo, Google, Bing etc.) It improves the backlink visibility of the text online.
- The higher the optimization is ranked, the higher the chance of people viewing the text. If they click on the text, the website analytics records this as traffic.
- The content developer should keep writing topics with the same keywords. The more the number of optimised content, the higher the chances of improving the website ranking.
- The same process can be used to optimise video search, image search and academic material search. Others searches include news and customised searches (mostly for companies).
Benefits of SEO
- Increase traffic – SEO gets credible and quality traffic to the website. The traffic is organic; normal searches. The keywords offer a direct pointer to intended searches, and if the information is worthwhile, then the user will come back for more on the same topic.
- Cheaper – the content developer only has to write the article and place the keywords strategically to attract traffic. There is no cost incurred. Other online users pay for their content to be pinned on the first page of the search engine.
- Increases site-visitation – the higher the optimisation ranking, the more visible the site becomes. With this, the following becomes a possibility:-
- Brand visibility – whatever is being showcased by the website gets traction
- Social media linkages – this traffic can be redirected to social accounts where conversations can be sustained.